Sunday, July 28, 2013

When Chuck Norris says, "Start Reading Now"






Book One.  
When trying to decide which book to read next from my pile of books that I'm attempting to read this summer I was surprised to read a forward by Chuck Norris in one of them.  Apparently I didn't notice his name on the front cover. 


 

Chuck Norris is both admired and feared by many.  Chuck Norris jokes are hilarious....here's a few:

If you spell Chuck Norris wrong on Google, it doesn't ask what you meant. It simply comes back as RUN. Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.  Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one.  Chuck Norris can divide by zero.  Chuck Norris doesn't mow his lawn, he dares it to grow.
I started reading Do Hard Things and I'm thinking of reading it out loud to my teens so we can be encouraged by it together.  The first story about a young teen, who was quiet and timid, captivated my attention.  She did amazing work for a political election.  Work that 24 year old adults may, or may not, be capable of doing.  She did the work because someone thought she was in her 20's and gave the work expecting her to do it.

Chuck Norris wrote in the Foreword that there is only one way to get to the place where God wants us.  That is to do hard things.  At the end of his Foreword he wrote, "Start reading now."  So I did. 


Next book.
 With a 4 year old constantly saying, "Mom.  Mom." I don't get much started. I finish even less. So I picked some easy-to-read books for the summer.

If you wonder if heaven is for real.  Read this book.
If you've had a miscarriage.  Read this book.
If you aren't sure if Jesus is real.  Read this book.  

I think Chuck Norris would agree. 

There is also a version written just for kids.


And...the third. 
My 9 year old daughter is a gymnast.  A few days before we moved to Germany, we visited a bookstore in the United States.   Trying to encourage my daughter to read more, I suggested a few Gabby Douglas books when I saw them there.  Great idea!  She found two.  I already knew that Gabby's mom was a single parent, that Gabby moved to another state and lived with a host family while training for the Olympics, and that she gave all the glory to God.  How did all of that happen?  I wanted to know. 




Her words are simple.  They are real.  She is sweet, faithful, tough, and the first US gymnast "to ever receive both the team gold medal and the individual all-around gold medal in a single Olympic games."*  Chuck Norris never did that. 

The way she found a host family to live with while she trained was...a miracle?   Possibly.  

If you are the parent of an athlete, especially gymnast, read the book.  And Gabby's mom.  A heroine. A role model. 

One more.  
In December I wrote a post about a high school curriculum we were using I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist.    The authors of that curriculum recommended this book.  





" In a world increasingly indifferent to Christian truth, followers of Christ need to be equipped to communicate with those who do not speak their language or accept their source of authority. Gregory Koukl demonstrates how to get in the driver's seat, keeping any conversation moving with thoughtful, artful diplomacy." (Amazon.com)

I'm going to actually cogitate while reading this book, so I've been putting it off...

Finally.
My 13 year old daughter wanted to read the Hunger Games.  I didn't want her to.  A book about kids who have to kill each other?!  Really?   Why weren't there adults standing up against this?  After speaking with numerous family and friends who liked the book I decided to read it to see if I would let my daughter read it.  Although it was well written and suspenseful,  I still despise the theme.  I'd love to hear your opinion on whether you think this is appropriate reading for a 13 year old. 


Have you read any of these books? 








From Grace, Gold & Glory My Leap of Faith, by Gabrielle Douglas

2 comments:

  1. Jumped on your blog through Apologia email. I devoured the first book of the Hunger Games in one day. I absolutely LOVED it, so I quickly borrowed the 2nd book from a friend. About 2 pages in, the Lord started to convict me about these books. I really believe that they are NOT appropriate for kids - or adults for that matter. There is so much great literature out there, why do we feel the need to cross that line. I must admit, to this day, when I see the movie pop up on Netflix, I am so tempted to watch. I know the movie would be so much worse than the book in terms of violence, so I just pass on by. Why add more violence to our teens when things seem out of control already! Just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for saying that. I think that you and I are the only ones who agree on that! I don't think the books are appropriate for kids. I only read the first one so far. Many people I talked to say you have read the others, that there is so much good that the kids can get out of them. Did you read the others?

    ReplyDelete