Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What Will The School District Say?

What would you say to someone who is planning to start homeschooling but is scared of what the local school will say?  I don't know what state she is in.

 I've never done this myself.  I've only thought of putting them on that yellow bus as it rolls by in the morning....it's really just an occasional, fleeting thought.

Here was my recommendation, but I'd love to hear from others on this. 

Let me know what you think....

"I highly recommend two things for you, and I have third possible recommendation: 

  •  Go on Homeschool Legal Defense Association's (HSLDA) website and check out the homeschool laws in your state. Also, you may call them and get information on your state laws so that you are PREPARED when you talk to your local school. BTW, do you have to talk to the school? Or can you just NOT re-enroll your kids? I don't know, but HSLDA will! I recommend you join HSLDA too.
  •  Contact a local homeschool group in your area. Join one. Get on their email loop and ask others about their experience with pulling their kids out of the local school. Usually there is more than one family who has done that and can be of help. I've heard moms say it's been a breeze. I'm not sure if maybe something has happened to give you that fear, but I don't think there is anything any school can do to stop you. Just keep repeating as necessary, "I am taking my kids out of your school. I am taking my kids out of your school. I am taking my kids out of your school." They'll eventually get it.
  • Consider taking someone with you if you must meet with the school. A support person. Maybe someone from Philly like me who occasionally thrives on a good fight...ugh confrontation.




Pray.  Pray.  Pray.  (Sadly, this wasn't in my original response... better late than never.)

I've never pulled my kids out of school (they've always been at home...always.  all  day.  every day) so I don't have personal experience with taking my kids out of public school, but I've had lots of friends do this. Most have had NO issues!

Bottom line:  they are your kids and you are going to do what's best for them. 

I am going to do a post on "how to find a homeschool mentor" soon. So, please check back or follow my blog if you want.

Let me know how it goes!"  

6 comments:

  1. When we pulled ours I told the school that we were homeschooling. On the paperwork they noted that they were leaving to go to Private School. I wish I had thought of that myself, technically we are a Private School.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one, for Texas especially. I don't know which state this woman lives in. I'm wondering, though, if it's true that in any state, you just TELL the school your kids are leaving. They can't make you stay, right? Not in America, right? This is going to bug me and I'm going to have to contact HSLDA myself...so I can be a good mentor and not a mediocre one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lived in New Jersey when we began homeschooling. There the only requirement is to send a letter to the superintendant. We did that in the summer between second and third grade. We never heard a word back from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spoken with my mentor at HSLDA and she says that homeschooling is legal in every state, but states have deadlines for intent, etc. When/if there are problems, HSLDA is there to help!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like good advice. Your mentor is correct. So a little research to begin with is always wise. We followed this when I homeschooled my kids decades ago - and my kids have done the same more currently. And be sure when talking to the homeschool groups to get info on those as well. They are such a blessing and an encouragement. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaye,
    I have to research every time we move (about every 2-3 years). So far we've lived in very homeschool friendly places. I hope you have a great week too.

    ReplyDelete