Saturday, December 24, 2011

Explaining Christmas to a 3 year old.



Levi has been excited that it's going to be Christmas and he's going to get to open presents.  I'm thinking that he needs to know that Christmas is more than getting presents.  Ok.  Teachable moment and I'm on.   "Levi.  Do you what Christmas is?"  No response.  "It's Jesus' birthday."  Nothing.  "It's the day we celebrate Jesus being born." 

Maybe if I mention presents he'll start tracking.  "Jesus gave us the best gift ever."  Silence.  "He gave us life forever."  Maybe he doesn't really know who Jesus is and I need to go backward a little.  "Do you know who Jesus is?"  Waiting.  I say, "He's God's Son."  Something interrupted us.   I can't remember what. 

Then, this evening we went to a candlelight Christmas Eve service at our church.  The highlight for Levi was that he got to hold a lit candle.  Very special night for him.  I'm thinking we're still laying the foundation for him.  What a privilege. 




Levi was so excited that he built a big Lego building with help from Mom. 

It's almost as tall as he is.


Caroline making a gingerbread house and pretending to eat it. 







The cookies/treats I made for Christmas this year are my usual and one new one.

Almond Butter Cutouts (Top)
Pretzel Holiday Treats (3 o'clock- the new one)
Spiced Pecans (5 and 6 o'clock)
Grandmom Reeh's (my mom's mom) Pecan Butter Balls (7 o'clock)
Buckeyes (9 o'clock)



Why do I only make these at Christmas time?!

Caroline and Sophia experienced some technical difficulties, but they enjoyed creating!
Sophia's gingerbread house.

Caroline's gingerbread house.



 Here are some verses that go with yesterday's post about adoption.
In you the orphan finds mercy.
Hosea 14:3
 
Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.
Isaiah 1:17
 
Father to the fatherless, defender of widows — this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families.
Psalms 68:5-6



...

No comments:

Post a Comment