Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tesas homeschool laws. Homemade butter.

(There are pictures at the end of this post.  If you're receiving this via email and you don't see pictures, you could go to the actual site and see them. 
http:// journeying-sue.blogspot.com)

My friend in my homeschool group has been homeschooling for 10 years.   The other day some local police (she lives about 20 minutes away) approached her boys who were outside playing.  They asked the boys questions about what they were doing and why they weren't in school.  The boys said they were homeschooled and were on a break.  The police questioned them about  what their school hours were, the curriculum,etc., and told them they needed to be at home and doing school work.  
 
Here's what she said, "What I did have a problem with & how my rights were violated was the fact that he questioned my children about their schooling - not me. I used very specific instances of my homeschooling rights here in the state of Texas. I quoted the Leeper vs. Arlington ISD case in April 1987 in which the Supreme Court declared that homeschooling is considered to be a private school. There is no attendance requirement in a private school, so if I was giving my children the day off from school, that is my right. I also made him aware that nobody (even the police) have a right to question what curriculum we use or even how long we school for.  They have to take a complaint to the school district we are part of, and only a proctor with a written letter of complaint may ask to enter my home. (Kind of like a search warrant by a policeman - he can only enter your home with a warrant.)  The only thing a proctor may ask to see is what curriculum you use and where you school at."  

She shared this with our homeschool group so that everyone would be aware.  It was great that she knew the law so well. 

Luke got his Hunter's Safety course done today.  He and Josh are ready to go hunting next month.  

I sooooo want to get T-shirts made up that say, "Everything I know I learned from YouTube."   Luke's history teacher suggested that if students' parents approve the students could watch "Worst Jobs in History:  Middle Ages" on You Tube!! 

So, we're studying the Middle Ages.  During that time a family's cow provided many of the basic foods they ate every day:  butter, cream, cheese, milk, whey, buttermilk and curds (like our cottage cheese).  Tonight Caroline and Sophia made some butter!   Jesse will make some tomorrow.  Oh, I guess I could have Levi make some and that might keep him busy for awhile.  To make it, you put whipping cream in a jar and shake it up.  We made it 5 years ago when were studying this time period.  They remembered making it and eating it.  It's really good.  I am making bread in the bread machine to have for breakfast with the butter.
Caroline shaking....


Sophia eating fresh butter on toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment